Thursday 14 July 2011

Happy 14 Juillet!

french flag

Bastille Day, to those of us from the UK and presumably other Anglophone countries, but the French call it 14 juillet, and so should we...

I'm currently watching (on telly) the military parade up the Champs Elysees - their theme is "Overseas" this year, I think, focusing on France's overseas Departments and Territories. They've painted the Champs Elysees so it makes the bleu-blanc-rouge of the tricolore - I'm very impressed by that. Later, there will be planes flying over with coloured smoke (yeah, technical term, that, hush...) and it will all be very pretty.

Once I've finished my coffee (the main reason, obviously, that we're not at the parade in person - that and we'd never, ever see anything if we were - the view on the tv is much better), we might go for a wander in the sunshine, and we'll probably end up at the Champ de Mars this evening for a free concert in front of the Eiffel Tower and then a huge fireworks display. I think that might be a nice way to spend the evening...

So, happy republican day France, chequered history though you have with your monarchy. Happy celebration of your overseas territories, complicated past that you have with them and your ex-colonies. And thank you for painting your roads to amuse me, for giving me a day off, and for giving me the chance to watch most of Cabinet sitting looking deeply pained and trying to hide it faced with this opera singing. Vive la France!

ETA: My husband has shattered my illusions, telling me that they haven't really painted the Champs, and it's all technological trickery on the part of the TV. This upsets me, and I'm not entirely sure I believe him, but he's usually right about these things. I am hereby unimpressed with the people who painted the Champs Elysees, because they didn't. Lazy bastards.

No comments:

Post a Comment