Sunday 8 May 2011

Things to do in Paris: Le Manoir de Paris

Le Manoir de Paris is a new attraction that opened to the public on 6 May. I was lucky enough to get to attend the launch event, and so I feel I ought to spread the word about it (even though, you know, my blog with a readership of 2 in a good week was probably not what they were envisaging their briefing being used for - I went as a guest, in case you're wondering.)

That said, Google brings up odd results sometimes, so maybe people looking for something to do on a rainy day in Paris might find this. I struggled somewhat to work out who Le Manoir's target audience is - and from conversation over drinks at the end, it seems I wasn't alone - but I would recommend it to those with older children, those who visit Paris often and who are looking for something a bit different, Goths and people who like dark rooms where bleeding people jump out at you.

From the promotional blurb, Le Manoir de Paris is "a true living museum. It invites visitors to experience Parisian scenes and legends in winding their way through its labyrinth". It "transposes the concept of the haunted house that we find in the United States and adapts it to French culture and sensibility." The concept was created by Adil Houti, a Belgian by birth, who has lived in the US and now lives in France. I've never seen a US haunted house, but for Brits, I suspect this is similar to the London Dungeon (which is, I have to say, one of those things I've never been to either, but at least have seen - and the guys in costumes at London Bridge look similar to these guys, if less gory - and less interactive.)

The "living museum" brings to life 13 legends from Parisian history - some of which are world famous, like Quasimodo, others are less well-known to foreigners. (Well, I didn't know them all, anyway...) It has to be said that this doesn't detract particularly from the experience, though I suppose that recognising the stories might give you a slight edge on dealing with the creepiness as you go through the various rooms and meet the various tragic - and terrifying - characters. To understand the stories the characters tell you, you will need good French. Some of the costumes inhibit clear speaking, and although my French is quite good, there were several stories I missed entirely, mostly because I spent the whole thing in a mild state of panic, waiting for the next thing to leap out at me and scream.

(Text continues after the photos - these photos are mine, from before the show began; do excuse the poor quality - proper photos follow at the end...)

100_8544

100_8541

100_8540

100_8533

100_8537

100_8539

100_8534

100_8538

100_8532

Thinking about it once it was over, I enjoyed it. The expressions on the faces of those who followed us through the maze suggested that I wasn't the only one who found the whole thing terrifying, but that's the point, after all. (And it added amusement, as we watched them come out into a room of people drinking champagne and eating canapes, and try to work out if this was another act that was going to suddenly attack them.) The costuming and lighting was excellent (though I would suggest that perhaps they could have given us a bit more light without ruining the performances - sometimes it was really, really hard to see where you're going...) and the actors were superb. I hope they enjoy their work - they looked like they were doing, but I suppose we were in the nature of the opening night; it might be interesting to go back after they've done their act a few thousand times and seen how much they still enjoy it!

Those with weak hearts, pregnant women and those with epilepsy are advised not to go to this exhibition - there is a lot of use of strobe lighting, which wasn't advertised clearly beforehand, so if you're sensitive to it, give this one a miss. Also, if you're claustrophobic, you will also probably want to give this one a miss - there's one "room" that made me struggle a bit, and I *like* small dark spaces.

The press blurb says that the Manoir is open to children aged 10 and over – I think that's maybe a little young. Some ten year olds will probably be all over it, but there was a little girl who went in ahead of us who came out 5 minutes later in tears.

Factual information you'll need if you're thinking of visiting:

Address: Le Manoir de Paris
18 rue de Paradis
75010 Paris

Metro: Poissonnière, Bonne Nouvelle, Gare de l’Est, Gare du Nord, Strasbourg Saint Denis, Château d’Eau
Bus: Lines 30, 31, 32, 38, 39, 47, 48

Opening hours: Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and French public holidays, from 15:00 to 20:00.

Cost: 20 Euros (Concessions: 18 Euros)

www.lemanoirdeparis.com
www.facebook.com/lemanoirdeparis

Official photos (copyright Le Manoir de Paris):

lemanoir1-copyrightManoirH

lecabaret-copyrightManoirH

lecomte2-copyrightManoirH

monstreetcomtesanslogo-copyrightManoirH

1 comment:

  1. All looks rather gory!! Heide says hi btw, you should update her so I dont have to hedge around the bushes:P Hope all is well in your new shiney life x x

    ReplyDelete